Atlantic Health System is seeking a Pediatric Surgeon to join our team at Goryeb Children’s Hospital/Morristown Medical Center. The position offers the opportunity to treat both complex and routine conditions in neonates, infants, children, and adolescents. The Pediatric Surgeon will have the opportunity to collaborate with all pediatric subspecialties and play an integral role in growing the pediatric surgery program at Goryeb Children’s Hospital, the flagship children’s facility of the Atlantic Health System.
The Division of Pediatric Surgery routinely performs all thoracic, oncologic, neonatal, and emergency surgery and there are programmatic growth opportunities in intestinal rehabilitation and inflammatory bowel surgery. Planned retirements have provided Goryeb Children’s Hospital with a recruiting opportunity to restore the full complement of surgeons.
The Department of Surgery includes an independent residency training program in general surgery and graduates six surgeons each year. The Department teaches medical students from the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University as a regional campus for clinical rotations. In addition, Morristown Medical Center is one of the preferred sites for the surgery clerkship of students from Rutgers University, New Jersey Medical School. Attending faculty are eligible for an academic appointment from either institution.
1. Develop priorities for delivery of pediatric surgical services at each of the hospitals in the Atlantic Health System.
2. Evaluate students, residents, and, when appropriate, ancillary staff performance.
3. Review and revise, with appropriate administrative input, guidelines for standards of care in pediatric surgery, in compliance with JCAHO requirements, and which ensure current clinical practice standards.
4. Contribute to quality patient outcome or assurance compliance as set forth by Atlantic Health System, the Departments of Surgery and Pediatrics or other designated group or agency.
5. Maintain relationships with peers at educational institutions and academic medical centers in order to maintain quality in resident and student education.
6. Facilitate, when possible and appropriate, clinical research in the field of pediatric surgery.
7. Facilitate the verification of Morristown Medical Center as a pediatric trauma center.
1. Participate in the review and development of the pediatric and surgical residencies and recommend changes to improve these programs.
2. Actively participate in the clinical and didactic teaching of residents and students, and participate in the evaluation process of trainees.
3. Participate in the review of resident applicants.
4. Participate in appropriate professional societies.
5. With the assistance of the departmental chairs, obtain appropriate academic appointment through the New Jersey Medical School.
6. Attend and participate in pediatric and surgical grand rounds, conferences and business meetings.
7. Participate in community education and scientific programs as may be delegated or assigned by the Morristown Medical Center Chairman of Surgery.
1. Establish protocols for the care of pediatric patients, as appropriate, through the AHS system.
2. Assume primary appointments at Morristown Medical Center and Overlook Medical Center with adherence to the medical staff bylaws for departmental and staff meetings at these hospitals.
3. Provide consultations to attending physicians and patients throughout the AHS system.
4. Provide second call coverage with appropriate back-ups and scheduled relief for the Morristown Medical Center trauma program.
5. Work collaboratively with the pediatric emergency room at Morristown Medical Center and Overlook Medical Center.
6. Provide consultations to non-AHS hospitals, as appropriate, with the approval of the Morristown Medical Center Chairman of Surgery (or designate by Chairman of Surgery).
7. The physician shall use and endorse the use of all of the Hospital’s automated systems, as appropriate and achieve 90% utilization of CPOM.
Atlantic Health System is at the forefront of medicine, setting standards for quality health care in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the New York metropolitan area. Powered by a workforce of almost 17,500 team members and 4,800 affiliated physicians dedicated to building healthier communities, Atlantic Health System serves more than half of the state of New Jersey including 11 counties and 4.9 million people. The not-for-profit system offers more than 400 sites of care, including 8 hospitals: Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, Overlook Medical Center in Summit, Newton Medical Center in Newton, Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains, Hackettstown Medical Center in Hackettstown, Goryeb Children’s Hospital in Morristown, CentraState Hospital in Freehold, and Atlantic Rehabilitation Institute in Madison, NJ.
Atlantic Medical Group, comprised of 1,000 physicians and advanced practice providers, represents one of the largest multi-specialty practices in New Jersey and joins Atlantic Accountable Care Organization and Optimus Healthcare Partners as part of Atlantic Alliance, a Clinically Integrated Network of more than 2,500 health care providers throughout northern and central NJ.
Goryeb Children’s Hospital is the epicenter of care for children at Atlantic Health System. The Women’s Service Line at Atlantic Health System delivers over 8,000 births each year creating a busy Neonatal ICU. Surgeons collaborate with Maternal Fetal Medicine in antenatally managing patients with congenital malformations. Other busy services in the Goryeb Children’s Hospital are oncology and endocrinology. Our Pediatric Gastroenterology Service is the largest in the region and is internationally known for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, caring for a large population within the Pediatric IBD Center. We have expert and ample critical care resources in both the PICU and NICU.
Goryeb Children’s Hospital is an 86,000 square foot facility attached to Morristown Medical Center (2020-21 USNWR #1 NJ Hospital). With over 250 pediatricians and 100 pediatric subspecialists from 22 different specialty areas, we offer comprehensive pediatric services. Our multi-specialty pediatric group consists of over 100 physicians and serves patients in the Northern New Jersey area. The Goryeb Children’s Hospital is growing and currently has a 34-bed general pediatric unit, a 15-bed pediatric intensive care unit and a 44-bed neonatal intensive care unit.
Atlantic Health System, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and, therefore, abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual or affectional orientation, national origin or nationality, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, protected veteran status, ancestry, marital status.
Software Powered by iCIMS